Career and Technical Education Panel Discussion
Learn from VDOE, Community Colleges, and VAISEF Members!
October 20-21, 2016
Phillips Programs – Annandale Campus
CTE PANEL DISCUSSION
An essential part of our programs is a focus on Career and Technical Education. With the help of the Virginia Department of Education, Virginia community colleges, and our own members, we will present and discuss essential and useful information to help you improve your programs. We will gain an understanding of how to meet the CTE requirements set forth by the VDOE, including ideas for curriculum, and testing. Another covered perspective will be the view of colleges and what skills they expect our students to have prior to entering their programs. Our own colleagues will overview their own programs and what makes them successful. This learning experience will be applicable for all of our facility leaders, teachers, and CTE staff. This diverse panel will be prepared to discuss a wide range of topics, so please come with open ears and plenty of questions to ask. If you’d like to send any questions or comments to our panel in advance, please email Brian Summo and he will pass them along. Confirmed panelists include:
- Dr. Brian Jackson, John Tyler Community College
- Karen Steshko, Career Education Coordinator, Phillips Program (Topic: Community Employment)
- Samuel Son, Teacher, Phillips Programs (Topic: 3D Printing)
- Laura Heyer, Phillips Building Futures (Topic: Building Trades Program)
- Holly Peele, Director, Northstar Career Academy
- Judith Sams, Specialist, Virginia Department of Education
All events to be held on the Phillips Programs campus except Thursday’s dinner. Click here for directions to Phillips’ Annandale Campus.
Thursday, October 20
- VAISEF Committees and Board Meetings (see specific schedule below)
- 3:15 PM – Tour of Phillips Programs and their CTE Programs (meet in Staff Lounge)
- 7:00 PM – Group Dinner (Self Pay Function, Yardhouse, $29 per person plus tax and gratuity)
Friday, October 21
- 8:00 AM – Registration and Breakfast
- 9:00 AM – CTE Panel Discussion
- 12:00 PM – Lunch Provided by Phillips Programs
- 1:00 PM – Semi-Annual Membership Meeting (see meeting content below)
- 3:00 PM – Adjournment
COMMITTEE AND BOARD MEETINGS
Several VAISEF Committees and the Board of Directors will meet on Thursday, October 20. These are open only to members of such committees.
- 1:00 PM – Accreditation Committee
- 2:00 PM – Membership Services Committee
- 3:00 PM – Insurance Subcommittee
- 4:00 PM – Board of Directors
SEMI-ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Following the Panel and lunch provided by Phillips Programs, the 2016 Fall Semi-Annual Membership Meeting will commence. On the proposed agenda for the meeting are:
- Presentation of New Members, New Accreditations, and Reaccreditations
- Election of the 2016-2018 VAISEF Board of Directors
- Update from the Virginia Department of Education
- Presentation of the 2016 Partlow Best Practices Award
- Update from VAISEF Committee Chairs on Association Activities
- Government Affairs Update and Discussion with Invited State Legislators
The Nominating Subcommittee of the Ways and Means Committee has nominated a slate of candidates to be elected as the 2016-2018 VAISEF Board of Directors. The membership will vote to elect these individuals during the Membership Meeting. View the slate here.
VAISEF has secured a block of hotel rooms at the nearby Courtyard by Marriott Springfield for the night of October 20 at a room rate of $124.00 (plus applicable taxes). Reservations may be made by calling the hotel at (703) 924-7200 and identifying yourself as a member of the VAISEF Room Block. There is a limited number of rooms in the block, so please make your reservations as soon as possible. Click here for detailed directions to the Courtyard.
CANCELLATION / REFUND POLICY
- Any registration cancellation / refund requests made by 12:00 PM on October 18, 2016 will be refunded the full registration fee.
- Cancellation / refund requests made by 12:00 PM on October 19, 2016 will be refunded half (50%) of the registration fee.
- No refunds will be made for cancellations after 12:00 PM on October 19, 2016.
- Registrations may be transferred to another individual if you cannot attend.
Please email or call (804-332-1794) Matthew Stanley in the VAISEF office with any questions about the conference.